Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,163 comments
The best results I had so far :

View attachment 1341420

I just added GT cars for the fun and did few tweaks here and there. Note that everything was mixed up and the cars grouped together until we reached the GT traffic. As always, highest difficulty and boost weak, everything else is set on realistic.

View attachment 1341421

View attachment 1341422

Edit : ECU at 91 looks a bit more fair
View attachment 1341423

For Le Mans, obviously.
Gonna give this a try for my next 1hr race. Thanks for sharing!

@suomi1 at those specs my Toyotas are still getting dusted at La Sarthe. I'll try tuning the others down, but it's not looking great at the moment!

Edit: I forgot to turn the anti lag up on the Toyotas. Seems much better now!

Last edited:
@suomi1 at those specs my Toyotas are still getting dusted at La Sarthe. I'll try tuning the others down, but it's not looking great at the moment!

Edit: I forgot to turn the anti lag up on the Toyotas. Seems much better now!
Yeah, I was just about to ask you to check this out. AI is able to set sub 3'28 laps when the right conditions are met.

Now, doing yourself sub 3'28 laps with a stock McLaren or a Mercedes looks.. Difficult to say the least... That is all about rubberbanding.

I see that the 911 Carrera RS (993) '95 is back at the UCD, and I wonder which one I should pick between the RS '95 and the RS CS '95 for a GT2 replica for my 1995 GT grid... Very similar parts except for the front ones.

Last edited:
The RS CS has the roll cage as standard. Plus, the standard front spoiler is more like the RSR.
1711908232486.jpeg

Speaking of BOP, I ran the new Toy in Quick Races, (Professional Level) at The Glen, Daytona, and Monza. The fields had one or two Toys, the rest were GT500 cars. The best I could do was 2nd at Monza and Daytona. The best I could do was 3rd at The Glen. Tough races with aggressive AI.

Highlights for today:

18e9743c09839-screenshotUrl.jpg

I took on the role of George Russell.

18e97431eee58-screenshotUrl.jpg

Esteban Ocon reaping the benefits of the VR38DETT engine.

18e9742dc0054-screenshotUrl.jpg

Hamilton gets a new steed - the Black Series.

18e974216e283-screenshotUrl.jpg

18e9742b9b093-screenshotUrl.jpg

GT350R looking solid there.

18e9742fca214-screenshotUrl.jpg

Sainz Jr. overtakes Coulthard without incident.

18e9742981b31-screenshotUrl.jpg

Alonso making a move against Leclerc.

18e974255ce67-screenshotUrl.jpg

18e974235f643-screenshotUrl.jpg

But Leclerc defends his position after the back straight.

18e9741eb5988-screenshotUrl.jpg

Russell says hi to his teammate.

18e97152a9426-screenshotUrl.jpg

18e9715106058-screenshotUrl.jpg

Then Verstappen breathes down on my neck.

The results:

18e9725b7af38-screenshotUrl.jpg

IMG_20240401_092650.jpg

Tiff Needell sets the fastest lap.

18e9742776321-screenshotUrl.jpg

Yuki Tsunoda and Lance Stroll will be added soon.

Grand-Am series 2010 or so, correct? Nice project!
20092010 season. I had previously run the Peugeot LMP as the DP because the super high downforce gives it a really good edge, but the GT-One looks too right. It’s got less downforce than the Peugeot and struggles to pass the GT2 cars. It actually drops off on the straights. So I left the GT-One power at 603 BHP.

Hello guys. Im creating an „All time GT1” grid, and its looking very cool so far. But one thing is getting on my nerves: the tyres. The road cars „converted” into race cars always race with RH, regardless of me buying only RM and applying it in the cars, and the Gr2 cars, (CLK, F1 Longtail, GT One) always use the RM regardless of me equipping the RH to make it fairer for the other cars in the grid, since I cant change the road cars to RM either. Is there a way that I can set the same compounds for the entire grid, be it RH or RM? Preferably RH, if possible. Its very frustrating.

If anyone is curious, the grid is now like this:

DBR9 GT1
Ford GT 06
NSX 92
Supra 97
R33
F1 95
F1 Longtail
CLK LM
GT One
911 GT1
F40
F50 (never raced)
C4 Corvette
C6 Corvette
Viper 02
Murcielago
Diablo
Countach 88
MR2 as Sard MC8R
Xj220
962c as Dauer 962
Zonda R as Zonda GR
993 RS CS
Carrera GT (never raced)
GT-R 17

Hello guys. Im creating an „All time GT1” grid, and its looking very cool so far. But one thing is getting on my nerves: the tyres. The road cars „converted” into race cars always race with RH, regardless of me buying only RM and applying it in the cars, and the Gr2 cars, (CLK, F1 Longtail, GT One) always use the RM regardless of me equipping the RH to make it fairer for the other cars in the grid, since I cant change the road cars to RM either. Is there a way that I can set the same compounds for the entire grid, be it RH or RM? Preferably RH, if possible. Its very frustrating.

If anyone is curious, the grid is now like this:

DBR9 GT1
Ford GT 06
NSX 92
Supra 97
R33
F1 95
F1 Longtail
CLK LM
GT One
911 GT1
F40
F50 (never raced)
C4 Corvette
C6 Corvette
Viper 02
Murcielago
Diablo
Countach 88
MR2 as Sard MC8R
Xj220
962c as Dauer 962
Zonda R as Zonda GR
993 RS CS
Carrera GT (never raced)
GT-R 17
When I remember this correctly, AI-racecars(gr4,gr3, gr2 and gr1)start with RHs and actually do switch to IMs and wets when it is raining (when available) and even switch back to softer compounds afterwards(when you bought those tyres) in custom races...but I might be wrong there...road cars use there default tyres unless you put them on RHs before the race

When equipped with RHs all cars use RHs, also road cars with other default tyres...

Last edited:
I am getting smoked by the AI in the GT2 class of cars.
Running 8 DPs and 12 GT cars. Using the RX-8(R26B swap) it's so lovely to rev up to 10000rpm. C6 has the grunt and the 996 has the grip. F30 GTC is an all-round good car.
15 minute races. Finished 18th at Laguna Seca. 17th at The Glen. 14th at Road Atlanta(heavy damage is on and some DPs and GTs had collisions). 16th at the line, at Daytona. 15th at Interlagos.

Going to run some Europe circuits.

After a few tests, it looks like "boost off" works better than before. AIs were competitive without setting some crazy stupid lap times.

At some point I lost the lead due to a mistake. It took me something like 2 or 3 laps to take back the 6/8 seconds lost. usually I would have caught up twice that gap into two sectors.

Did they really change anything or is it just me who's gotten too used to playing with "boost weak"?

After a few tests, it looks like "boost off" works better than before. AIs were competitive without setting some crazy stupid lap times.

At some point I lost the lead due to a mistake. It took me something like 2 or 3 laps to take back the 6/8 seconds lost. usually I would have caught up twice that gap into two sectors.

Did they really change anything or is it just me who's gotten too used to playing with "boost weak"?
I noticed they still drop pace like crazy on the second half of races. The first 1/2 hour for me, they fly. After that, they die.

Well one hour at 24x Daytona 24H. By the GT-One’s clock the race started at 15:58 and end of the hour it crossed the line at 15:52. I crossed the line at exactly one hour and couldn’t complete the lap. P3 was just behind about to lap me.
20970455896709679.jpg

Tough race. No bands of rubber to help me move up. Parked the 787B swaps and used the turbo set ups. The AI still not at full throttle helped their fuel economy(fuel /tyres at 5x/10x). All though I pit same amount of laps(5) for fuel, I was at 1% when AI were at 8-10%.
IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg

AI RX-8s just can’t hang on long straights. Other than that, feels good to struggle to keep pace.

I noticed they still drop pace like crazy on the second half of races. The first 1/2 hour for me, they fly. After that, they die.
So, I did two more races with boost off (hard difficulty), 1h and 2h. I observed the opposite.
AIs were running at a pace close to the car's capabilities in the first half of the first race (so, pretty enjoyable and realistic if you choose to enter with a similar car), but went like rockets in the second half, way above what car physics would allows for the player. Once they have caught up, they stay behind without trying to overtake.

During the 2h race I drove a faster car than the AIs (thankfully...). The gap increased to 1m40s until the half race mark was reached, then it stayed still or so until the end. AIs were doing 3'37 to 3'40 laps in the first half (close to what I would do with the same car). It was pretty messy in the second half of the race, because even if the gap didn't move for the lead, AIs were able to set 3'26 to 3'23 lap times in the middle of 3'45 others..
My rythym was around 3'32 to 3'29 during the first hour, then between 3'30 and 3'28 during the happy hour.

I preferred the second race. Even if the 1h race was enjoyable at first, it became boring as the AIs were waiting behind me despite being able to set laps 10s quicker than mines. Looked fake.
In the second race I was of course quicker during the first half because my car was better, but the goal to not to loose time as I was overtaking traffic in the second half was more intense and had interest.

but went like rockets in the second half, way above what car physics would allows for the player. Once they have caught up, they stay behind without trying to overtake.
This sounds like boost being on to me. Both of your races were with boost set to off?

I've only ever encountered races with boost 'off' having the AI die off halfway through, which may explain why you were able to maintain your gap to them. However, thinking back they die off when they're far ahead. At La Sarthe (for example) the boost 'off' AI can pull a gap of 15 - 20s on me over the first half hour and then die off and I catch them back up within two laps. With Boost set to 'weak' no matter what I do, I'm yo-yo'd to catch up or be caught up.

This is somewhat track dependent too as (for example) at Daytona they are horrendously slow on the banked corner leaving the infield so you can gain multiple seconds there regardless of boost being on or off - UNLESS you're in the lead with boost on. If that is the case then you're going to be trailed by the AI by about 0.5 seconds until the end of the race providing you don't make any mistakes.

This sounds like boost being on to me. Both of your races were with boost set to off?

I've only ever encountered races with boost 'off' having the AI die off halfway through, which may explain why you were able to maintain your gap to them. However, thinking back they die off when they're far ahead. At La Sarthe (for example) the boost 'off' AI can pull a gap of 15 - 20s on me over the first half hour and then die off and I catch them back up within two laps. With Boost set to 'weak' no matter what I do, I'm yo-yo'd to catch up or be caught up.
Boost was off, I am absolutely sure of it. But I observe the same behavior as you with boost set on weak.
I just wanted to try "boost off" again after a long time only racing with "boost weak".

If only boost off was just... Boost off.

It’s crazy they can’t sort the custom races out. I would think they’d be able to enable Sophy, have Sophy run based off the players lap times. Even if they had you practice/qualify about 5 laps. Then analyze your lap times and work it out from there. People complained Sophy was too fast so they slowed it down so why can’t they just speed it back up and add it into Custom race? Analyzing a players lap times takes out the need for a difficulty slider.

Anyway there’s definitely a trick to getting it all dialled in. My mustang mini at goodwood was back and forth trade off. It was just 1v1 with boost on weak as a friend suggested. Made for a fun race but I took them to other tracks and it wasn’t as great of a race unfortunately. So it literally all boiled down to having just the right car tune and settings and track. Finding a good custom race setup is like trying to find a needle in a haystack lol

Figured I’d blitz the field at the big track. Happy with the outcome of this 15 minute race. Since we have no Paul Ricard as the real world GT4 season begins, doing an hour at St Croix will suffice.

When I remember this correctly, AI-racecars(gr4,gr3, gr2 and gr1)start with RHs and actually do switch to IMs and wets when it is raining (when available) and even switch back to softer compounds afterwards(when you bought those tyres) in custom races...but I might be wrong there...road cars use there default tyres unless you put them on RHs before the race

When equipped with RHs all cars use RHs, also road cars with other default tyres...
The gr2 cars I mentioned (that are in my grid) always start with RM, regardless of being equipped with RH, while all the other cars in the grid start with RH. It kills the grid. Not only much better aero, but these cars also race with better tyres than the others. Frustrating

Does anyone else have a whole subsection of their garage devoted to "pedestrian" cars for use in custom races? I have multiple versions of:

R53 Mini Cooper
Suzuki Swift
Toyota Crown
Toyota Hi-Ace Ambulance
VW Polo

Each one is gimped down (via racing transmission) to a slightly different, sub 80mph speed such that they will spread out nicely on one of the Tokyo circuits and provide an approximation of road traffic. I've tried and tried to combine this with a Shutoku-style grid of actual racers, but the AI is incapable of passing slow traffic consistently. So instead I'll just make time-limit races with just the ped cars and me and enjoy the ambiance.

Does anyone else have a whole subsection of their garage devoted to "pedestrian" cars for use in custom races? I have multiple versions of:

R53 Mini Cooper
Suzuki Swift
Toyota Crown
Toyota Hi-Ace Ambulance
VW Polo

Each one is gimped down (via racing transmission) to a slightly different, sub 80mph speed such that they will spread out nicely on one of the Tokyo circuits and provide an approximation of road traffic. I've tried and tried to combine this with a Shutoku-style grid of actual racers, but the AI is incapable of passing slow traffic consistently. So instead I'll just make time-limit races with just the ped cars and me and enjoy the ambiance.
A few of us have done that for traffic. Im hoping for this one day.
Nah, what these cars(R33, FD, A80) are doing, we can’t do alone.

If that’s just showcasing multiplayer with AI traffic(regardless of the slow cars as traffic for this clip), cool. If it’s linking cars together by cruising(a la Forza), that’s something that may be in a future update.

The gr2 cars I mentioned (that are in my grid) always start with RM, regardless of being equipped with RH, while all the other cars in the grid start with RH. It kills the grid. Not only much better aero, but these cars also race with better tyres than the others. Frustrating
This tyre rules are quite complicated and can get confusing...the cars will start with their default tyres(unless you use cars from your garage for your custom race and you put them on RHs, then they will start with RHs)...so if the default tyres for gr2 cars are RMs they will start with RMs...

But if you use gr2 cars from your garage in your custom race and you equip them with RHs, they will start with RHs, but change back to RMs after a (dry) pit stop.

So if you want cars with the same tyres in a custom grid, you have two options: only use cars that come with same default tyres in that grid or use cars from your garage for that grid and put them all on RHs before selecting them for the grid.

Back