Super Formula - Fuji race difficulty

• Thread starter TumeK5
  • 182 comments
Won by .549 seconds at Fuji. The 130R was killing my left side tyres on my second stint. I rounded the final corner ahead by about 3 seconds and ran wide with nearly going off totally, but I had enough Boost left. Stayed on it while the AI was shaving the time to the line.

Edit: All that for the Jag VGT, which I sold.

Last edited:
Won by .549 seconds at Fuji. The 130R was killing my left side tyres on my second stint. I rounded the final corner ahead by about 3 seconds and ran wide with nearly going off totally, but I had enough Boost left. Stayed on it while the AI was shaving the time to the line.

Edit: All that for the Jag VGT, which I sold.
You are referring to 100R, the long right hander before the left hairpin, in the second sector, right?
130R is about 300 km West from Fuji.

Just did it on hardest mode. SF'19 Started with RS. I saw the storm comming /without yellow indications/ in lap 7. Entered the pit in lap 8 for IM. Was out in 20th possition with 50 seconds behind. In lap I 9 started to gain seconds in the rain. In lap 15 AI from position 2 to 6 entered to change their IM.
I was 2nd behind Hizal with about 5 sec gap. I caught up with him in slower sector and won by 6 seconds.

Last edited:
Still trying to get Fiji done on hard.

Used the '19 and the '23 doing RS/RM (I can't seem to make softs last 8 laps).....best I've managed is a 7th @ 35 seconds behind the leader. My best lap was only a mid-24 so clearly I'm not fast enough to get this done in the dry.

Last edited:
I had my first go on Normal, and got my arse handed to me in a stock SF23.

I didn't think I was doing too badly - I pitted on Lap 8 for in P13, but dropped back to P19 after the stop. After that, I kept getting quicker and took the Fastest Lap of the race (up to that point) on Lap 12, only for the AI to trounce my record later. I finished P17, which was pretty disappointing, not least as the leading AIs didn't seem to pit.

I switched to Easy and trounced the AI, leading after lap 3 and lapping the entire field.

-

Difficulty aside, however, SF23s around Fuji is an absolute blast!

edit: I tried again on Normal, this time with @praiano63 tuning, and won comfortably :) What a difference a great tune makes!

Last edited:
After doing really poorly with near stock SF23, tried Priano's tune and man it is a lot faster on Fuji. Got 4th first try on hard, before I wasn't even close. If I keep myself from spinning when tires start to go out I'll definitely be able to get top 3, whereas before it wasn't even close lol.

After doing really poorly with near stock SF23, tried Priano's tune and man it is a lot faster on Fuji. Got 4th first try on hard, before I wasn't even close. If I keep myself from spinning when tires start to go out I'll definitely be able to get top 3, whereas before it wasn't even close lol.
I second that. Praiano's tune makes a material difference. 👌

I had my first go on Normal, and got my arse handed to me in a stock SF23.

I didn't think I was doing too badly - I pitted on Lap 8 for in P13, but dropped back to P19 after the stop. After that, I kept getting quicker and took the Fastest Lap of the race (up to that point) on Lap 12, only for the AI to trounce my record later. I finished P17, which was pretty disappointing, not least as the leading AIs didn't seem to pit.

I switched to Easy and trounced the AI, leading after lap 3 and lapping the entire field.

-

Difficulty aside, however, SF23s around Fuji is an absolute blast!

edit: I tried again on Normal, this time with @praiano63 tuning, and won comfortably :) What a difference a great tune makes!
+1 on the @praiano63 tune. Awesome traction and balance overall. I struggled to come within top three with other settings, won comfortably on a soft-soft strategy, no rain, normal difficulty with his tune.

Still think AI's flawed: they don't pit and do fast laps on the last three laps...

Tried again with the SF19 and managed to pull a 3rd place finally. Not sure if I want to keep trying for 1st lol

It got me a 500K Cr 6-star ticket.

Last edited:
The SF19 has more grip than the SF23, so you can exit the corners much better.

Any thoughts on whether the '19 or the '23 is better for these races? I have the '19 but spending 1M on the 23 seems pointless as there's little else in the game to do with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one finding these races a challenge.

Any thoughts on whether the '19 or the '23 is better for these races? I have the '19 but spending 1M on the 23 seems pointless as there's little else in the game to do with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one finding these races a challenge.
I think it’s safe to say the ‘19 is the better choice for most people.
I also used a tuned ‘19 and won all 3 on Hard difficulty first attempt.

Just to chime in as another struggling with Fuji on Hard.

Using a standard SF19 as I already had it, won Watkins Glen and St Croix fairly comfortably using RS/RS, but even after a few attempts I'm not troubling the podium at Fuji!

Fuji has never been a track I've enjoyed, but doing it in VR, I actually quite like the final sector now, as you can look around and really understand the track's layout, so I find it much easier to actually pick a line through it etc.

I'll try messing with the tune a bit, I've found the SF cars a lot more fun to drive than I expected, especially at Watkins Glen.

My best in the Fuji-event is 11th. Had to run on softs to be on pace. So one pitstop neccessary. (And not too cleanly driven…)
And still! When I can muster high 1:24 at best I’m still 3 seconds behind the fastest AI, so to place consintency would still have to be on the outerworldly side, regardless of tyre wear and traffic.
About to cave in and drop the difficulty a notch. Or two.

Frustrating? Quite! But with qualifying this would be the best race in the game. At present.
And while my controller might disagree, it has forced me to develop a certain sensitivity. I believe.
All things considered: i like it!

My best in the Fuji-event is 11th. Had to run on softs to be on pace. So one pitstop neccessary. (And not too cleanly driven…)
And still! When I can muster high 1:24 at best I’m still 3 seconds behind the fastest AI, so to place consintency would still have to be on the outerworldly side, regardless of tyre wear and traffic.
About to cave in and drop the difficulty a notch. Or two.

Frustrating? Quite! But with qualifying this would be the best race in the game. At present.
And while my controller might disagree, it has forced me to develop a certain sensitivity. I believe.
All things considered: i like it!
Do you have the Praiano tune? It helps for this race.
I am a low DR A driver and managed 1st with a RS one stop strategy on hard difficulty. It's tough, you need to practice but it's doable.

Just to chime in as another struggling with Fuji on Hard.

Using a standard SF19 as I already had it, won Watkins Glen and St Croix fairly comfortably using RS/RS, but even after a few attempts I'm not troubling the podium at Fuji!

Fuji has never been a track I've enjoyed, but doing it in VR, I actually quite like the final sector now, as you can look around and really understand the track's layout, so I find it much easier to actually pick a line through it etc.

I'll try messing with the tune a bit, I've found the SF cars a lot more fun to drive than I expected, especially at Watkins Glen.
If you are on standard tune: Praiano's tune makes up to a second per lap difference due to better traction and grip.

I did Watkins Glen on medium tyres with no stop in an SF19. Does anybody know if medium tyres will last a full race in the other two circuits?

The problem is not the AI’s difficulty, it is the AI’s tire wear. By the end of lap 14 my Hard left front tire is gone and the AI hase still 45% left.
I've watched Ai n°1 at Sainte-Croix to learn circuit and his strategy, he pits for tyres after lap 5 and they are quite worn out when he goes to pit.

I've watched Ai n°1 at Sainte-Croix to learn circuit and his strategy, he pits for tyres after lap 5 and they are quite worn out when he goes to pit.
All other events are ok. That counts only for the SF Fuji event.

I did Watkins Glen on medium tyres with no stop in an SF19. Does anybody know if medium tyres will last a full race in the other two circuits?
I doubt RM tires will last on the rear at Sainte Croix and probably not the best idea for Fuji (depending on difficulty).
I used RH rear and RM front at Sainte Croix and the left rear was almost completely shot at the end, I don’t see an RM making it, even with a little TCS.
I wouldn’t recommend RM at Fuji as you won’t be able to keep pace with the lead on Hard difficulty. On Hard difficulty you‘ll want to run full RS tires and pit for fresh ones midway through.

Don't know if if would do any good, but have you tried to use overtake some on each lap to trim a small amount on the leader with each trip down the front straight?

Yeaah, I finally made P3 quite easy in normal difficulty with SF23 and praiano tune. For me worked 9M/6S better than 8S/7S. P1 and P2 are still far away.

Last edited:
Back