The Human Comedy 8 - Gr.3 Lake Maggiore

• Thread starter breeminator
  • 1,083 comments
Thanks. With the McLaren 650 I use first gear on the two tightest hairpins because it feels faster on the pick-up. I'll try changing up sooner elsewhere to see if it affects my laptimes but I'm no longer fussed about fuel usage as I'm not going to try a 2-stopper again.
2 stopper on RM is the easiest way. Staying under 2 minutes on RH is arguably more difficult imo.

There are a few corners where you benefit from staying up a gear so there's more power to draw from.

Personally the final section was the key to staying in pace. Have to hit the final two corners at max pace. Cut the cerb on the alst corner everytime. Rolling without gas doesn't mean slower

I'm getting there: P4, Yay! The secret was giving the 650 my standard yellow and red livery ...who'da guessed it would be that simple! I was feeling really good about the position until I saw that I was 31 seconds behind the front gaggle who took the flag in a tight group. I had one 1.5s penalty, lost time trying to take hairpins in second (gave up; much better in first in the McLaren), and got taken out big-time on lap 16 as the car on my right that I was under-taking as I rounded the final curve, decided that he was pitting (obviously on a 1-stopper) and nobody, particularly me, was going to get in his way! Note-to-self: never under-take a car on that bend on lap 15 or 16. I spun and crashed and spun again. And then I crashed again and spun. And crashed. Bar Steward! So whilst I lost a lot of time there, and with the penalty too, I doubt very much that I lost enough to make the podium. I tried a few different lines and gear changes, but the biggest time-gain with this race is just good old fashioned racing consistency. Round and round and round I go, very slowly getting more consistent. Next stop the podium 👍

...and then what? What do you do when you've conquered the hardest race in the game? ...conquer it in different cars I s'pose.

.conquer it in different cars I s'pose.
If you dont feel sick of it, then yes.
Or you set yourself an even higher goalpost of placing yourself in top 10 (at least this is what I want to do - I was there before, so I dont accept defeat, no matter the invisible enemy).

I still can't believe it 😅
I managed to get gold today after several second and worse positions the last days.

I managed to stay focused not to leave the track and to keep my pace, and I was lucky that Yamanaka and Rubilar battled each other behind me which gave me the chance to stay P1 in the third part of the race.

Don't give up and keep practicing and improving yourself.

(Update 1.36)

Regards
M

Last edited:
I still can't believe it 😅
I managed to get gold today after several second and worse positions the last days.
Well done 👍 I got P3 yesterday, and P2 today, 15 seconds behind Rubilar. It is, as I suggested, down to consistency and not charging into the bends. Whereas a few days ago I was mainly in the 2:00s and sometimes in the 1:59s, now I’m mainly in the 1:59s and sometimes in the 1:58s, with the odd 1:57 for good measure. I found where I was triggering the penalties - my left wheels were occasional drifting off the inside of the kerbing on the first right-hander of the left-right-left-right before the run down to 'the' hairpin. I also found much cleaner cornering by braking slightly harder before the turn-in on the hairpin at the top of the long hill (apexing exactly at the middle of the bend), and at the start of the left-right-left-right, in order to get the vehicle under more control going through this important complex. I’m now in the realm of finding out how hard the top two cars race …they can be quite aggressive in getting their elbows out! 15 seconds - that’s five tenths I’ve got to find every lap now …ho hum!

15 seconds - that’s five tenths I’ve got to find every lap

... or even less. They race at different speed sometimes IMO and also their are also more or less lucky conditions after start in the first few turns.

Good luck. I am sure you will do it!

This Lake Maggiore Mission is certainly tough because we use such BOP challenged cars. Recently, I have tried this again with various GR.3 cars and had decent success with about half of them. I have been able to beat the Mission with the following cars:

Alfa 4C GR3
BMW Z4 GT3 '11
Chevy Corvette C7 GR3
Genesis X GR3
Honda NSX GR3
Merc-AMG GT3 '20
Nissan GTR Nismo '18
Peugeot RCZ GR3
Toyota GR Race Concept

A nice winning margin of 24 seconds with the Peugeot RCZ:

53123351534_60943dc8d4_c.jpg

And a decent win by 19.7 seconds with the Nissan GTR Nismo '18:

53130100318_d528e60f50_c.jpg

And a very close win by 0.568 seconds with the Merc-AMG FT3 '20:

53113959397_ac36d714f1_c.jpg

And somehow, was able to win with the Chevy Corvette C7 GR3 by 6 seconds, even though my winning time was a very slow 1:01.18.1:

53112211786_e025d43d07_c.jpg

I have had close losses while using the following cars:
--- Audi R8 LMS '19
--- Ferrari 458 Italia GT3
--- McLaren F1 GTR '95
But I expect that these three cars could win the race if I was able to drive slightly better.

I think that the Ford GT Race Car '18 could win, so I may give that a try next.
:cheers:
GTsail

This Lake Maggiore Mission is certainly tough because we use such BOP challenged cars. Recently, I have tried this again with various GR.3 cars and had decent success with about half of them. I have been able to beat the Mission with the following cars:

Alfa 4C GR3
BMW Z4 GT3 '11
Chevy Corvette C7 GR3
Genesis X GR3
Honda NSX GR3
Merc-AMG GT3 '20
Nissan GTR Nismo '18
Peugeot RCZ GR3
Toyota GR Race Concept

A nice winning margin of 24 seconds with the Peugeot RCZ:

View attachment 1281868

And a decent win by 19.7 seconds with the Nissan GTR Nismo '18:

View attachment 1281873

And a very close win by 0.568 seconds with the Merc-AMG FT3 '20:

View attachment 1281869

And somehow, was able to win with the Chevy Corvette C7 GR3 by 6 seconds, even though my winning time was a very slow 1:01.18.1:

View attachment 1281870

I have had close losses while using the following cars:
--- Audi R8 LMS '19
--- McLaren F1 GTR '95
But I expect that these three cars could win the race if I was able to drive slightly better.

I think that the Ford GT Race Car '18 could win, so I may give that a try next.
GTsail
Good to know - I've been struggling with this event since I've been using the Mazda RX-Vision GT3 the whole time, but next time, I'll definitely see how the Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 does.

Good to know - I've been struggling with this event since I've been using the Mazda RX-Vision GT3 the whole time, but next time, I'll definitely see how the Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 does.
I would think that many of the available cars are capable of winning with the right driver behind them. Clearly, I think, it is down to the car that best suits your driving style. I've tried lots of them and for me, the McLaren 650 GT3 is the best fit for my style. Each to their own.

--- Audi R8 LMS '19
--- McLaren F1 GTR '95
I did win on the Ferrari already.
McLaren F1 has bad brakes and bad handling.
Audi is eating tyres.

Outside of that (on patch 1.31) I managed to win with almost every car.
I didnt redo the race on every car again, but I dont suppose there would be such a huge difference that my win would turn a significant lose or otherwise.

I would think that many of the available cars are capable of winning with the right driver behind them. Clearly, I think, it is down to the car that best suits your driving style. I've tried lots of them and for me, the McLaren 650 GT3 is the best fit for my style. Each to their own.
The McLaren 650S GT3 is a nice car to drive. I just took it for a spin and was able to win by 3.6 seconds:

53133182009_6ee0d506df_c.jpg

I was using TC=1 and the manual gearbox. It doesn't use much fuel and its pretty gentle on its tires. I just had to prevent the rear end from coming around on the exit from the hairpin once its tires got worn.
GTsail

I did win on the Ferrari already.
McLaren F1 has bad brakes and bad handling.
Audi is eating tyres.

Outside of that (on patch 1.31) I managed to win with almost every car.
I didnt redo the race on every car again, but I dont suppose there would be such a huge difference that my win would turn a significant lose or otherwise.
Pretty sure the physics and tire wear is different now

Pretty sure the physics and tire wear is different now
There were changes, and from my limited reruns what it seems to is that the cars actually have gotten closer together in most cases.
But the general idea of them still exists.
Ford Mustang is a boat, not a car.
Rx Vision is the king of saving, Supra 18' is the king of speed and so on.
But other than that, lap times are almost so much identical that I dont see a need to rerun, whereas before the update of that time, laps were significantly faster. Basically the racing mediums of now (and of my test) were either as good or maybe a bit slower than the racing hards of before.

I just ran the Mission and was able to barely win with the BMW M6 GT3 Sprint Model::nervous:

53134651888_016e35a4c2_c.jpg

The M6 GT3 Sprint is a quite decent car and is fast. Quite fun to take down Rubilar with a similar car!:D
My margin should have been larger, but Rubilar just didn't want to lose. Rubilar had a 1.3 second lead over me as we began lap 30, and with the help of a backmarker, I was able to pass him for the win.:)
GTsail

I really don't want to be one of those Facebook GT7 users who posts every time he wins a race or gets a gold licence [yawn], but
..but
..but
[drum roll...]

P1 YAY! 🏆🏆🏆 Geeze, I feel so elated that I might even go and buy a round!

I've had a few close calls over the last couple of days but kept on forgetting about the tyres going off after 8 laps, and that they need a lap to warm up when you're pushing to the very max. I also reminded myself what I learnt IRL many years ago: better to hold off than to risk taking a punt when overtaking back-markers ...especially with these brain-dead AI drivers who, as soon as you have got 1m in front of them, take it upon themselves to battle with you as if they might win the race in half-a-lap's time!

I also learnt that if you ride the kerb on the approach to the last bend (as you do) and brake (as you do), the car (McLaren 650) pulls in to the left very slightly. If you hold this 'pull' very carefully, aiming to cut the corner across the inside kerbing, you can very gently accelerate all the way down and round the bend (riding the same 'pull' of grip that you got at the start), which is good for a tenth or two although you need to be very careful you don't run wide. You can cross the white line without a penalty, but go too far and there is no grip. Previously I used to either slide or coast round most of this bend most of the time.

I found myself in P1 on lap 24, with Rubilar on my rear bumper. I was quicker than him everywhere except the banked hairpin, which has always been my Achilles heel. So we traded places a few times and he raced hard but clean for a change. Or maybe it's just me having better anticipation now. Anyway, he started to drop off on lap 29, then took to the pits, so I guess all that wheel-to-wheel racing saw him use up more fuel than he anticipated. I was so frightened of spinning out on my worn tyres that I slowed right down for my last lap, posting a time of 2:04 ...but I had a buffer and at least I finished without spinning out 👍

I feel that this race, more than any other in GT7 by a long way, has forced me to improve my skills in a virtual race car. I feel like I'm on a different level now, simply because I've had to improve myself in order to win. There's little or no randomness to this race; no weather to fool the AI; no ringers to defy physics; just blistering laptimes and hard racing, with the odd curveball thrown in by the AI drivers who brake on the racing line when they get a blue flag and you're hurtling towards them on the limit of grip 🤬🤬🤬

So now I'm going to see how many other cars I can win this race in ...he said like the over-confident cat that just got the cream 😎

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: I've run this race again twice today, once with TC:0 instead of TC:1, in which I would have finished P.2 by two seconds had I not spun-out on the last lap. I concluded that TC0 is quicker, but only in a way that the very best drivers can take advantage of without increasing the risk of spinning wheels and spinning cars. Whilst I was definitely quicker through the left-right-left-right complex before the banked hairpin, I am not good enough to get the same pick-up speed coming out of the hairpins, so my overall time would have been about seven seconds down on my maiden victory.

I then did the race with TC:1 and ABS:default. I won by 1 second but had a penalty that cost me 4 seconds, so the victory would have been by 5 seconds without the penalty, which is the exact same time (to the second) that I won the race by yesterday with ABS: weak. I concluded that there is almost no difference between ABS weak and ABS default, but that if I had to call it one way or the other, I would say that 'default' allows you to stop slightly quicker, at the expense of extra tyre wear.

Attachments

• SHARE_20230822_0531570.jpeg
    SHARE_20230822_0531570.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I concluded that there is almost no difference between ABS weak and ABS default,
Doing 2 identical runs with different variables (wind is never the same) would be a masterpiece of driving skills.
But the difference between ABS is definitly not as bug as the difference of TCS.

As I've finally managed to win this race consistently, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the three cars that I've tried since becoming reasonably competent (other opinions welcomed):

McLaren 650S GT3 - Having tried this race with a wide range of cars in the early days, the McLaren was the one that I chose to learn the circuit properly with. It feels light and nimble, has enough power to keep up, and crucially, it breaks away predictably and controllably. I've lost count of the number of times I braked too hard when trail-braking on the limit through the wide right-hander at the bottom of the hill. In every other car I've tried, once you lose traction there, you'll be lucky to keep it on the track. But in the McLaren, you can drift the car in an opposite-lock squeal of tyres, recover up the hill, and still not lose any time! It takes the hairpin at the end of the main straight very confidently (due to it's good balance and ability to drift without tears), but is relatively slow (in my hands) through the banked hairpin. I have won this race numerous times in this car, usually by five seconds or thereabouts, with my laptimes averaging out in the high 1:48s and low 1:49s, and the occasional mid-to-high 1:47. Not brilliant, but good enough to win.

BMW M6 GT3 - I had real issues with this car, spinning off four times, two of which were a result of a close-battle 'tap' from other cars. I then looked at the leader-board and realised that I had bought the Sprint version, and that Rubilar uses the Endurance version ...durr! The M6 Endurance car was much better, but still not as stable as the McLaren that I had grown used to. It took the banked hairpin well, but was so relatively twitchy through the hairpin at the end of the main straight that I was losing more time here than I'd gained at the banked hairpin. My laptimes seemed slower, I never once got into the 1:57s, and I finished P.6, 17 seconds off the leader, Rubilar. This car feels powerful but heavy, and for me, does not imbue the confidence to push too hard.

Mazda RX-Vision GT3 - If you can stand the screaming engine for more than a few laps, this car feels like a rocket and corners like it's on rails. It grips much better than the other two cars above, BUT beware of pushing it too far because when the traction breaks, it does so quite violently and can take a few seconds to recover from (provided you keep it on the track). It takes the banked hairpin superbly (my weakness in the McLaren), and flows through the hairpin at the end of the main straight almost as well as the McLaren. It can take close-quarters taps from other cars without any issues. My laptimes were good (for me) with occasional forays into the 1:57s. I won by 18 seconds - my best finish yet. This car has to be one of the easiest to drive but not as much fun as the McLaren.
Doing 2 identical runs with different variables (wind is never the same) would be a masterpiece of driving skills.
Obviously the conditions and competition changes from race to race, I get that. Although Rubilar and Fraga nearly always come P.1 and P.2, oneself notwithstanding, their strategies vary and other cars can slow them down. BUT, short of recording every laptime and working out the average over 30 laps, judging consistency by the difference to the winner after 30 laps in arguably the most consistent race in the game, has to be the best available means of making car and set-up comparisons. In the study of statistics, an estimator of a metric/value converges in probability the more data is provided. A 30-lap race with very consistent opponents is therefore probably as good as it gets (for the heat of race-conditions) in GT7.

has to be the best available means of making car and set-up comparisons
You can simply go into time attack mode on any given track, do a few laps and then adjust TCS or ABS.
That way you can compare the difference without a change of random variables - no fuel, no tyrewear, no weather conditions.

But the difference between ABS is definitly not as bug as the difference of TCS.
I disagree.

Abs on default has significantly less wheel spin.

I like having the car slide more than stick, when it's on weak the back end is looser imo.

first try just now I was 5 seconds behind the leader with only one minor mistake, laps were consistently around 58.0 to 58.5 with my best lap being a mid 57. in the mclaren, I did the one stop strat with hard tyres, think you can do a one stop with mediums if you take care of the tyres since there are only 2 serious braking zones - t1 and banky boy - all other braking areas encourage like 50%-70% braking power. my fuel map was approx 1.5 with short shifting. actually very happy that this is a bit of a challenge. i'm a low A+ dr driver

wonder if the mazda would be better since you can short shift it judging by the daily race C in spa at the moment??
The reason is because you need to get under 3 seconds to the leader in the first lap, the og leader tends to be slow but og 2nd place is fast so you need to be in second place in the 3rd or 2nd lap if you want to win, I beat it with a 1:59 doing this and a clean race bonus

Just for today, McLaren 650, finishing with 31 laps on the counter:
1695131349267-png.1288338

Pit after lap 12, new tyres + fuel for 9 laps for staying in the lead and having no competitive traffic ahead.
Kokubun will be shortly around in his RX Vision and depending on your lap times, he is going to be in your mirrors right now or has taken the lead.

Doing a 2nd pit after lap 21.

I finally got gold on this event this morning using the RCZ Gr.3, though it probably helped that at one point, Rubliar was briefly pushed into the gravel by Lopez. I narrowly won by less than a whole second, but a win's a win, so now I have that silver DB5.

This race isn't particularly difficult but you have to lap consistently around 1.56-1.58. I manged it with many different cars. The best strategy IMHO is to start on medium, pit lap 12, put on medium, fill up to do 9 laps and after 9 laps repeat the same. You should leave pit after 12 laps as nr. 1

Attachments

• 18ad7021d7511-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18ad7021d7511-screenshotUrl.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45
Has anyone managed to win this yet, and if so, in what car and with what strategy?

My best so far is 2nd in the Corvette, with a RH 1 stop.

The winner was the M6 '16 with 30 laps 1:00:56, and I was 12 seconds back. I suppose that's only 0.4 seconds per lap, which is definitely achievable by simply getting better at driving it. I tried the RX-Vision GT3 Concept before the Corvette, but I'd say the Corvette was a little bit better.

Nobody on my friends list has won it yet.
amg gt3 '20, 10 lap stint

Well done 👍 I got P3 yesterday, and P2 today, 15 seconds behind Rubilar. It is, as I suggested, down to consistency and not charging into the bends. Whereas a few days ago I was mainly in the 2:00s and sometimes in the 1:59s, now I’m mainly in the 1:59s and sometimes in the 1:58s, with the odd 1:57 for good measure. I found where I was triggering the penalties - my left wheels were occasional drifting off the inside of the kerbing on the first right-hander of the left-right-left-right before the run down to 'the' hairpin. I also found much cleaner cornering by braking slightly harder before the turn-in on the hairpin at the top of the long hill (apexing exactly at the middle of the bend), and at the start of the left-right-left-right, in order to get the vehicle under more control going through this important complex. I’m now in the realm of finding out how hard the top two cars race …they can be quite aggressive in getting their elbows out! 15 seconds - that’s five tenths I’ve got to find every lap now …ho hum!
That is as fast as I ever got and eventually won it...pushing like mad first few laps to get up to 2nd. Otherwise, I could never catch them. Not until I had blown many attempts with errors though. Corvette for me, but others work too.

This race is really difficult - more of a challenge than any other race in the game, in my opinion. It makes the SF Fuji race seem like a walk in the park as at least with that one, if you do it enough times, you’ll get the right combination of weather and fair AI drivers to effect a win, even if your lap times are not perfect every time. But this GR3 Lake Maggiore race is something else entirely! …and I’m not even close to winning it yet …a top six finish would be nice!

Any of many cars could win this race, I get that. It all comes down to how a car's default balance and default gearing suits one’s driving style. One has to be able to achieve laptimes in the 1:58s - I get that - and the balance and gearing of the McLaren is the one that lets me hit these times, sometimes! The problem is that the better the balance of the car for getting extra rotation round the hairpins, the more skill is needed on fast exits to avoid oversteer, and the more prone to spin-offs one is if one gets nudged by the competition. The BMW M3, for example, is mighty quick, but so prone to being nudged that mixing it with the pack through bends nearly always results in facing rearwards as you watch the rest of the cars wiz past you!

This race has changed dramatically following the various 2023 updates, in my humble opinion. I’ve read posts and watched videos of the mission from 2022 and it’s like a different race. The selected cars go quicker and the AI cars go slower, making for a race that better fits the profile of the typical GT7 'hard' race. But now, in the later half of 2023, this race is easily the most difficult in the game, and I think I’ve now won just about every other race/test/challenge/mission in the game that doesn’t involve cones or drifting (🤬).

The best strategy is three stints on RM tyres, I get that, pitting on or around laps 10 and 20 in order to even out the tyre wear …I get that. The best fuel strategy is only to carry enough fuel for the laps that you plan to drive in that stint …I get that. You need to use all the kerbs but if you cross the track limits the penalty is so harsh that by the time you have recovered at 'the' hairpin, you might have lost three or four places. I get that. And if you spin-out anywhere, at any time, you might as well hit the retry button because there’s no way you’ll win if you spin! I get that too.

So with all this in mind, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to win this race is to practice with all the available cars until you find the one that suits you best (which means buying lots of cars), and then to practice until you can get into the 1:58s without exceeding track limits, and then to practice and practice and practice until you can hit those 1:58s so consistently and perfectly that the only deviations are when you hit traffic and/or when your tyres are worn past one-third red.

I’m currently at the stage where I’m trying to be consistent. Some of my laps are 1:58x, some are 1:59x; more are in the 2:00s than are not. I haven’t managed to achieve a clean race yet with regards to track limits, and about half my attempts have to be abandoned because I spin off through contact or lack of reaction skill, which sadly comes from being in my 60s!

In many respects, this race, more than any other in the game, is most like real racing. In real life one buys a car/kart/bike/whatever, and then spends countless days off work adjusting and tuning it to get the best out of it on a range of practice days at a range of circuits (these days are only affordable mid-week, which is why one needs to take time off work). One can’t tune the GT7 cars for this race, but one can pick the best car for one’s skills and style. Then one practices and practices at the circuit or circuits that one intends to race at, until one’s laptimes are the best they can be given how much spare time one can spare! Then one races with hope and anticipation that the podium will be big enough for one's ego now that one is fully prepared for glory. Yes I know that’s a lot of 'one's …one has started this way, so one has to finish this way! 🤪

But for all one’s expectations, the rest of the grid have done the same thing, and their laptimes are within thousandths of your laptimes, consistently, and if you’re in a high-end race series for elite drivers, all you can do is try your best to stick with the car in front, without being overtaken by the car behind, waiting for the driver in front to make the tiniest mistake, without making any errors oneself. I’ve spent two hours like this before, in the same race order as the grid order, totally 100% focussed on maintaining perfect laptimes, waiting for others to make mistakes. This is the reality of real high-end racing, and this particular GT7 race is the closest I have yet come to it in the game. Curses and buggeration to GT7 for being a little too 'real' this time. Clearly I have a lot more practice to do before I am ever likely to see the win for the GT3 Lake Maggoire race 🙄 🥺
Sounds so familiar. I am 71...took numerous tries, countless restarts, Corvette finally worked for me TC 2 yet! It was about which car I could get comfortable pushing. Was mostly 58s, 59s, a few 57s and 00s. One of my last fails I was 2nd to Rubilar by 4s, after pitting ahead of him 2nd stop, but he came out way ahead. I realized he filled up on first stop (I assume) so the time I won, I filled full on first stop. No real difference right? But, I thought better push myself earlier and match his 2nd stop and that worked.

I couldn't seem to get first on this for awhile, but after coming back to it after months and months of other racing, I managed to win handily even after a spin. 1:56 to 1:58 lapping makes for a pretty easy win.

Now if only we could get some longer Sophy races implemented!

Back